Thursday, June 28, 2012

In the past month or so...

I think it's time for another update. I haven't been doing the kind of cooking that I was expecting to do; however, I have pictures to share!

Starting with the most recent meal:  cheese tortellini and a sweet salad.

So. Cheese tortellini with a little butter. Simple and delicious. It's hard to tell, but I used a head of romaine lettuce and added walnuts, dried cranberries, and raw sunflower seeds. I made a honey mustard dressing using olive oil, balsamic, dijon mustard, and honey. Lots of honey--I like sweet dressings.
My delicious dinner together in a bowl. Bon Appetite!













A couple days ago I walked down to a local New Orleans Style restaurant and had yet another delicious dinner. I ordered Blackened Voodoo Chicken over a warm salad with a savory and sweet sauce on it. It's one of my favorite sauces and I didn't find anything that was comparable on my recent trip to New Orleans over spring break.

Additionally there's a side of cornbread (it was rather dry and not very sweet--my mom makes a better cornbread) and some collard greens. Aside from spinach, collard greens are my favorite kind of greens. Delicious.

Finally, I've ordered lemonade every time I've gone to this restaurant--save one time when they ran out--thus, you see lemonade on my table with my main meal (and a glass of water). Over all it was a great meal.



Alright. About a week ago I went to my first Tiger's game ever (they won) and of course we had to have some hotdogs. Nothing less than a Hebrew National kosher hotdog with some onions and ketchup. Mmm, good. (Some other time I'll talk more about my relationship with hotdogs in general...)












Finally, a number of weeks ago my mom made a homemade pizza. It was a whole-wheat dough that we added pesto sauce, tomato sauce, red peppers, some Labneh (it's like a cross between yogurt and cream cheese), and some pine nuts. This pizza blows frozen pizza--or commercial pizza for that matter--miles out of the water.













When all is said and done I'm trying to get better about making my own food so I can survive in the fall when I have a shared apartment (!) in Amsterdam. I don't want to be that fool that just knows how to use a microwave and always eats out. Speaking of Amsterdam, I've been talking to some family friends, reading blogs, and reading my guidebook(s) in preparing a list of place I must visit and explore.

As you can see, I've got a Rough Guide guidebook, a streetwise map, and a Dutch phrase book/dictionary to keep me busy for the rest of summer until my trip.



I've picked out a preliminary class schedule and won't hear about my roommate or any other specific details of the trip (like field trips and whatnot) until a few weeks before I leave in August. *sigh*


Until next time, friends.


Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment